Medium: Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media
Jojo started his career in art doing fashion accessories and portraits. He also worked on high-end furniture, producing European-inspired designs for top companies Maitland Smith Philippines, Gold Coast, & Wicker and Vine. This helped a great deal in the growth of his art and transformed him into a more disciplined artist.
In 1990, Jojo joined the Cebu Arts Association. This turned out fruitful and rewarding for him as this was how he met new friends who later helped and influenced him.
During Jojo’s early years as an artist, he focused on producing artworks on canvas using acrylic and oil. He became interested in modern art and later on experimented on new mediums, exploring new themes including surrealism.
Over the last 27 years, Gubalane's passion for art has moved into much higher dimensions. His artworks depict the colorful and beautiful worlds of his dreams. He continues to create artworks that display his own sense of values and expressions.
SELECTED AWARDS & EXHIBITS
1. December 1994- 5s Slogan Poster contest: 1st prize (Maitland Smith Phils)
2. May 1995 - Metro Bank annual painting contest: finalist
3. December 2001 - Annual CAA yuletide exhibit and contest: 1st prize
4. August 2001 - 2 men show art exhibit entitled TOWARDS MODERNISM
5. December 2002 -Commission work of Ambassador Phillip Lhuillier for
Portrait of Pope John Paul II, Vatican Italy given during
the first mass for the Filipino Community in Vatican Italy
6. September 2002 - Cebu Art Festival face painting contest: grand prize
7. August 2005 - CAA Anniversary painting contest: 3rd prize
8. November 2006 - 2 men show ART EXPO Waterfront Hotel CEBU
9. Dec. 1 - 15, 2008 - 2 art exhibit MIX ART II Waterfront Hotel Cebu
10. December 2010 - 1ST one man show entitled VARIATION OF VISIONS
Waterfront Hotel, Cebu
11. June 16. 2011 - This is my FACE international art competition held in California USA (Grand Prize)
12. July 23-24, 2011 - Hope After Crisis - Exhibit for a Cause for Tsunami
Victim in Japan (Waterloo Singapore)
13. May 9-23, 2012 - Tapestry of Lives: “Our Stories of Hope”
The Arts House (At the Old Parliament Building),
14. Nov 15 - Dec 15, 2014 - 2nd one man show entitled "TRANSFIGURATION"
at Ayala Center, Cebu
15. Nov _ Dec 2015 - 3rd one man show entitled "TRANSFIGURATION II" at Ayala Center, Cebu
16. Oct 23.to Nov 17,2018 - Art Cebu group art Exhibition "
Paglatas sa Katuigan at Rizal Museum and Library
17. April 16 to May 16, 2017- 4th Solo Art Exhibition " Art Venture" at Ayala Center Cebu
18. Nov. 24 to Dec 21, 2018- 5th Solo Art Exhibition " Colour My World" at Ayala Center Cebu
Search for more artists